Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Essay for sale
: a spiritual cinematic quest


As mentioned earlier in this space, I wrote a personal essay last year for the “India and Europe” issue of the Swedish journal Ord&Bild. The piece was about my experiences with religious/spiritual cinema (Indian and European) over the decades, how this intersected with a personality conflict with my grandmother, and my re-engagement with Hindi cinema as an adult. It covers films ranging from Amar Akbar Anthony to Satyajit Ray’s Devi, from Carl Dreyer’s Day of Wrath and Michael Powell’s A Canterbury Tale to Raju Hirani’s PK, and also touches on such real-world events as the milk-drinking Ganesha statues of 1995 and the Babri Masjid demolition.
 
The translated version was published a few months ago, but I have the original English version (around 4500 words) and am looking for a home for it. Anyone here who knows of/runs a suitable publication, please DM me. Or if anyone in publishing knows of an anthology-in-progress that such a piece might fit into. 
It would be great to be paid decently for it, but I have to be somewhat realistic (a.k.a. hopelessly cynical) and don’t have high expectations when it comes to such things. (In any case, if nothing else works out, I will put it on the blog so it can die quietly.)

Hoping to hear from someone here, or to get a useful contact or two…

No comments:

Post a Comment