Friday, August 04, 2006

Important things learnt...

...over a week of intense physical activity:

- Paper is heavy. This is not immediately obvious when you’re holding a single sheet between your fingers, or balancing it delicately on your palms, or preparing little paper planes to be used in a windy setting. Since one sheet weighs nothing, it’s reasonable to assume that this would also be true of a multitude of sheets (nothing multiplied by anything being nothing, etc). But when you take, say 300000 pages spread out across approx 1,000 books, you begin to discover why trees are so difficult to carry around.


- My first minor brush with the incredible heaviness of paper was at the Geneva airport last year when my oleaginous marketing colleague and I had to dump 120 large press kits from numerous watch companies before we were allowed anywhere near the plane. But in the past week, I’ve learnt for certain that paper is by far the most resilient substance known to man. Supposedly indestructible canvas bags and sturdy wooden boxes give way when confronted with the combined might of dozens of hardbacks. Suitcases groan and tear. Even steel trunks bend out of shape and are never the same again. Some of the books I’ve been transporting about would leave large scratches on diamonds if given the chance.

- People who have lots and lots of books should never go anywhere. Consider yourself grounded for life. Or store books electronically.

- A complete set of The Encyclopaedia Britannica can be a singularly pointless thing to own, but it pays off when you suddenly have to find room for hundreds of new books. At such a time, all you have to do is dump the EBs into a bed-box (throw in a few moth-balls for luck), thereby freeing more space than you ever imagined you had.

(No, I haven’t been shifting. Have been helping a friend who was leaving town.)

12 comments:

  1. Why would you say owning a set of EBs is pointless? I was thinking the other day that if I ever have children, I'd love for them to grow up in a house that had a set of encyclopoedias, the Internet notwithstanding. The tactile experience of going to a shelf and taking down a book to look something up -- and getting sidetracked into reading about other topics, for no other reason than the desire to find out about things -- can't be matched by Google. Or maybe I'm just hopelessly old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was being facetious to an extent. But on balance the tactile pleasure doesn't compensate for the inconvenience caused in terms of space utilisation. I have to find space for many new books every month and given that I've hardly referred to the EB in the last few years, it's a problem.

    Also, wouldn't it be easier to get sidetracked into reading about other topics with Wikipedia (and no, not getting into the EB-vs-Wiki debate here)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course, having them for children to appreciate is another matter altogether - I don't have that particular cross to bear right now. (However, my mother was very afraid I'd drop a book on her Pom!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a fairly big collection of books. Never thought about this. Worth keeping in mind. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny, I had this same thought when I moved last week. Those innocous-looking paperbacks (mostly) lined up on my shelf. Just one more book? What's the harm? One skinny little Burroughs never hurt nobody. Before you know it, your shipping costs make you cringe, and you are already well-over your luggage weight limit. Who knew a few books could add a 100 billion pounds to your luggage?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I promise you, chocolates (packets of these vile things) are heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow a rule...

    Book not touched for 2 years have to go out... Tough but makes life easier...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why not ship the books??? Wouldnt that be an easier solution rather than letting Messers suitcase, trunk and madam canvas bag be badly disfigured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. paper is practically indestructible.....they've found chinese paper in tombs from the ming dynasty and suchlike. And Egyptian papyrus....even older.

    I love paper though....especially the smell of old books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As survivors of at least a dozen inter and intra-city changes of residences, and inspite of the parents' moans and groans, we've held on to our numerous crates of books. It goes without saying that there are no regrets whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a concept. This never even occured to me!

    ReplyDelete