Thursday, March 04, 2021

Film-club discussion: Macbeth via Welles, Kurosawa, Polanski, Bhardwaj

My online film-club discussions were on hold the past few weeks, since I was busy with the Hrishikesh Mukherjee course, but I’m planning to re-ignite them with a (very informal and free-flowing) conversation about different adaptations of Macbeth. It is fun to compare the many treatments of some of the play's most famous scenes: the witches' prophecies, the "dagger of the mind", the appearance of Banquo's ghost, Lady Macbeth's hand-washing, and of course the finale with the forest coming to Macbeth's castle (or, as in Vishal Bhardwaj's Maqbool, the "dariya" coming to Maqbool's home).

Anyone who’s interested in the discussion, or even in just watching the films, please email me (jaiarjun@gmail.com) and I’ll send across prints of Orson Welles’s Macbeth (1948), Akira Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood (1957) and Roman Polanski’s Macbeth (1971). (I am particularly glad to finally have a good print of the Welles version. Thanks to my friend Michael Enright for that.)

2 comments:

  1. Would really like to watch these adaptations, sir. Have long been searching for Throne of Blood and Chimes at Midnight. Is it too late to contact you on the matter? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, of course -- just mail me and I'll send across the prints. Will also add you to my film-club mailing list if you like.

      Delete