Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lit-fest update

A quick reminder about the Jaipur Literature Festival (earlier post here): updates are still being made and session timings might be tweaked over the next few days, but most of the schedule is now in place. Among other recent developments, Australian author Thomas Keneally – best known internationally for the Booker-winning Schindler's Ark, filmed as Schindler’s List – has confirmed his participation, though his session (a discussion with journalist Sunil Sethi) is slotted for the same time as another very high-profile event, the launch of the book Bachchanalia: The Films and Memorabilia of Amitabh Bachchan. Mr Bachchan will be in the house for this one, and in conversation with OSIAN’s Neville Tulli; it should be fun to see the Big B mingling with the crowds on the Diggi Palace lawns, as other superstars (Salman Rushdie, Aamir Khan) have done in past editions of the fest.

Some other sessions I’m looking forward to:

The “Jugalbandi” between Gulzar and Pavan K Varma

“Moonlight’s Children”, a discussion featuring the Pakistani writers Nadeem Aslam and Daniyal Mueenuddin

“Scripting Bollywood”, with actress Nandita Das, documentary filmmaker Nasreen Munni Kabir, director Shekhar Kapur and author Vikas Swarup

Full programme here.

P.S. My discussion with Hari Kunzru has been shifted to the 21st evening, 5-6 pm, though that update hadn’t been made on the site last I checked.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could come. And I thought that the res session would not really affect me. But Jaipur is too far from Bangalore to go by train, and flight is too fast for me anyway.
    I would have loved to do a reading of my newly published novel, 'A Grasshopper's Pilgrimage'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than a week away now! the fest is going to be super exciting :) and first thing tomorrow morning, the website will be 120% updated !

    ReplyDelete