Monday, August 28, 2006

Late on this but...

...R.I.P. Hrishikesh Mukherjee.

Coincidentally I picked up DVDs of some of his films a couple of days ago, including Anand, Satyakam, Mili and Alaap. I watched most of his films as a child but didn’t always appreciate them at the time – standard dhishum-dhishum cinema was more meaningful then. Have re-seen Anupama, Chupke Chupke and Golmaal recently, but want to get started on some of the others now – especially Satyakam (I find Mukherjee's use of Dharmendra in the 1960s very interesting), Bemisaal and some of the lesser known ones like Arjun Pandit.

What a great filmography. Nice piece on some of the movies here (link via Neha).

P.S. Wikipedia needs to get some of its URLs in order. The link to Mili on the Hrishikesh Mukherjee page takes you to the Mili Atoll.

9 comments:

  1. Nothing to do with your post, but I just found out that my father happens to like and follow your writing -- yours and Nilanjana (S. Roy)'s.

    Thought you'd like to know. Now I'll go catch up on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love Satyakaam. I think, its quite under-appreciated and widely unseen.

    I still remember the day when they showed 'Anand' on Doordarshan. Next day we were all asking the name of Anand's disease to each other and memorised that last dialogue and used to use it randomly in our talks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most amazing thing about Hrishikesh Mukherjee is that you are suddenly brought up short by a mention of some film he made and have to exclaim 'oh, he made that one too?'

    What an oeuvre, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Satyakaam" is suposed to be the Indian adaption of Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead".

    What a movie! Definitely a must-see!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marauder: yup, that's happened to me at least 3-4 times with his films (and this despite my - ahem - encyclopaedic knowledge of filmographies).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mukherjee had a feel for middle class sentiments which is reflected in movies. Abhimaan waa another great movie and Bawarchi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dude, its wikipedia. Just DIY and help the community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wish granted (although I saw your wish note only now).

    ReplyDelete