Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Rage against the machine Part 2: Revenge of the Singh

Have spent most of the day trying to get through to Tata Indicom’s “helpline” numbers.

Progress thus far:

- 24 calls that began promisingly, with a computerised voice saying “This is Tata Indicom Customer Care” - but were then disconnected almost immediately.

- Got through to a human voice three times but each time the line was disconnected after exactly 12 seconds (or at exactly the point where I was saying the words “...need a cable for...”)

- Finally, an assertive message saying “You have called during non-working hours. Our working hours are 7 AM to 11 PM.” I made the call at 11.55 AM.

So this is what they mean by telecommunications. I’m cancelling my subscription now.

UPDATE
Another firsthand encounter with the Power of Blogging. Just 4-5 hours after I made those posts complaining about Tata Indicom, I got a call from a very polite public relations executive based in Mumbai, asking me for details of my “complaint” - the blog transcript had apparently been forwarded to her by a company official who trawls the Internet for this sort of thing. Next thing, the Delhi office calls up offering to send someone to my house to check the laptop and the phone and work out what cable I need. Should happen today. Oh well.

13 comments:

  1. Hmm... sorry about the stalkerish following of the Tata Indicom saga, but it hits close to home and all that.

    You do realise, that to cancel it, you need to physically drag your behind over to their office and/or fax some random stuff to them ?

    Im just planning on not using the phone and not paying them anything for about 2 months. Wait for them to come and take it away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool, can always use a sympathizer during this difficult time.
    That's exactly how I'm planning to cancel it, only problem is that then I'll have to keep the goddamn instrument at home, cluttering up my room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, I was hoping for updates on the droopy guy. Sounds like fun. You must get him to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, you must get him home to blog. The more you meet him, the more his Elmer Fuddishness shall entertain us and depress you (or is that depress him further?)

    [As far as cable wallahs go, I am surprised. I know the connection was available till a few months ago in J Block.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jai...Tu ghabraa mat Jai. Your Calvin-twin Veeru is on his way. Blogger playing truant, not allowing him to post that damn thing. I have the grand daddy of all solutions...just wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. re: the power of blogging- impressive....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mein aa gaya Jai .. dekho mein tumhare liye duniya ka sabse tez internet lekar aaya hoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lobongolotika must be consumed in celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amit, you resorted to Bong code words? What's a lobongolotika anyway ? Whatever it is, sounds good - like a cross between roshogolla and gulabjamun. I'll have 2kgs of it :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. lobongolotika
    hmm, conjured up associations with a Pan Galactic GargleBlaster, actually...

    what is it, then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lobongo-latika: sticky, syrupy and faintly baklava-like concoction made of layers of pastry folded and studded with cloves ("lobongo" equals cloves in Bangla). Eating this was a virtuous experience: despite the stickiness and the high sugar content, the cloves would make you feel like you'd brushed your teeth.
    You can do many things with lobongolatikas, but alas, you cannot connect to the Net with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lobongolotika is the sister of Prochondopolita.

    Um, no, it's what Hurree said it was, and is spelt that way as well, though phonetically I was on target. But, um, Hurree, what are the "many things" that can be done with it besides eating it and, um, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm being spammed by the intellectual brigade! From Bengali sweets to gigabytes...and I don't understand any of it. Don't know whether to be flattered or annoyed.

    ReplyDelete