Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Apologies to Triumph the Sock Dog

Annoyed US-based friends who enjoy smearing their pedantry in other people’s faces have been mailing to tell me I got it all wrong in my recent Eminem blog: that it isn’t about an Arab/Asian being hounded at all, what it’s really about is M&M pillorying one of his many bete noires, in this case a sock puppet (??!) called Triumph the Puppet Dog, and what business do I have complaining about plagiarists when I can’t do some basic research before posting a blog. This puppet appears on the Conan O’Brien show apparently and Eminem has had a long-standing grudge against it (him?), for who knows what reason.

In the tradition of Leos who don’t admit to being wrong, I’ll say this: my blog was based on ONE cursory hearing of the song, and I was too busy laughing to concentrate hard on the lyrics. Anyway, on hearing it again, my initial impression hasn’t changed that much; so maybe it’s Eminem making fun of Triumph the Puppet imitating an Asian man. Whatever.

But just for the record, deepest apologies to everyone concerned: my hurt friends, the profane Mr Mathers, Triumph the Dog and the almost equally insensate Conan O’Brien. Next time I blog about a song that catches my fancy, I’ll analyse the lyrics across 200 websites first.

I didn't mean to be obscene or make a great big scene
And don't treat me like I'm Peewee Herman, this movie's PG
Mr. Officer, I demand to see my attorney
I will simply plead innocent, cop a plea and be free
Free, yes, free, right back on the streets
What you mean my lawyer's with Michael, he's too busy?
I am Triumph, Britney Spears has shoulders like a man
And I can say that and you'll laugh cuz there is a puppet on my hand


-- "Ass Like That", Eminem

No comments:

Post a Comment